Welcome

This blog starts from the time I spent in Baghdad 2006 to 2007, when I wanted to record some thoughts and give friends the inside mail on a crazy environment. Since then, after some time out from a broken ankle and between times working in London, I've been on the road again around eastern Europe, NZ and South America. So far. This continues with the hope of telling anyone who's interested about the new places I'm seeing and the people who make them interesting.

On the right you can find links to previous posts. I need to figure out how to get the order of current posts right. Maybe having used this for a few years it's the kind of thing I should have sussed...

Thanks for looking. Enjoy!

Thursday 12 February 2009

Stranded!

It had to happen some time, but the timing was pretty bad. I was due to fly to Rio last night and on to Bogota in Colombia this morning. Checked out of my hostel yesterday morning and went to an internet place to write to my brother, and while I was there someone took my bag from under my seat. Inside it were my passports among other things, so I´m stuck in BA until I can get a passport replaced.

Getting a police report was harder than it needed to be - the police stations keep trying to pass you off by claiming it falls just outside their jurisdiction, but eventually I found one that gave me a report thanks to my amiga Valeria, whose Spanish is perfect. The Embassy said I should have a replacement in 4 days which is pretty impressive. So I might get to see some of Colombia after all, and for now if I could pick any city in the world to be stranded in, BA would probably edge it.

Having my valuables stolen was and is an arse, but it's only stuff, and I´m more pissed off about my notes than anything. But I´d expected something like this to happen to me at some point on this trip, and at least I wasn't knifed or anything. And at least my wallet wasn´t in my bag, then I really would have been totally screwed...

No comments: