Welcome

This blog starts from the time I spent in Baghdad 2006 to 2007, when I wanted to record some thoughts and give friends the inside mail on a crazy environment. Since then, after some time out from a broken ankle and between times working in London, I've been on the road again around eastern Europe, NZ and South America. So far. This continues with the hope of telling anyone who's interested about the new places I'm seeing and the people who make them interesting.

On the right you can find links to previous posts. I need to figure out how to get the order of current posts right. Maybe having used this for a few years it's the kind of thing I should have sussed...

Thanks for looking. Enjoy!

Monday 13 October 2008

Thailand and Sydney

1 October: London - Bangkok

With eastern Europe in my rearview mirror and after a few days to catch up with some folks in London, first stop was Bangkok to see friends who've been living there for a few years. They've got a sweet expat lifestyle there and it's always good to see them. They've got a good bunch of friends they've met in the time they've been there and we had a good night out for Ellie's birthday. I don't think I've ever seen as many mojitos sunk in a single session.

One thing that always amazes me is the size of the city. I like Bangkok and its craziness. Not so keen on seeing fat old white men wandering around with Thai juniors, but in a bizarre way you don't notice it after a while.



I've visited Thailand half a dozen times in the last 2 or 3 years and usually spend a few days in Bangkok before heading down south to the islands. We had a good day out wakeboarding, just outside of the city and with a temple in the background to make an interesting setting.



This time I'd have liked to do something different and go north to Chiang Mai for some walking around in forest, but there was a typhoon around and if the thunderstorms up north would have been anything like the ones in Bangkok it would have been pretty miserable. So I went south again. Not such hard luck really.






I was in Thailand for a couple of months around xmas last year and spent a fair amount of time on Phi Phi. It was pretty much wiped out in the tsunami so it's weird sitting in a beach bar and looking up and down the beach and imagining nothing being there.



8 October: Bangkok - Sydney

Next stop was just a weekend in Sydney seeing friends, on the way back to NZ. I've been a couple of times before. The first time I didn't rate Sydney as I stayed in Bondi which I thought was a bit up its own arse. Last time I came I visited friends in Manly and had a completely different experience. That got me thinking I'd like to spend a few years in Sydney when I leave London. This time pretty much set that plan in stone.



Sydney's got it all. Great beaches, good climate and the idea of living in Manly and getting a boat to the city to work each day sounds pretty mellow. Plus having friends there already and being closer to NZ makes it a no brainer

Check out the artwork with the seaweed here.



Next up's a roadie around NZ for a month.









No comments: