Welcome

This blog starts from the time I spent in Baghdad 2006 to 2007, when I wanted to record some thoughts and give friends the inside mail on a crazy environment. Since then, after some time out from a broken ankle and between times working in London, I've been on the road again around eastern Europe, NZ and South America. So far. This continues with the hope of telling anyone who's interested about the new places I'm seeing and the people who make them interesting.

On the right you can find links to previous posts. I need to figure out how to get the order of current posts right. Maybe having used this for a few years it's the kind of thing I should have sussed...

Thanks for looking. Enjoy!

Wednesday 27 December 2006

Christmas in Baghdad

Interesting times in Iraq. The question of whether the British operation against the serious crimes unit in Basra was right or wrong should exist independently of whether invading Iraq was right or wrong. I was dead against invasion in 2003 but think it was, on balance, probably right that they took down the station last week. This is part of Operation Sinbad to try and root out the worst elements of the security forces in Iraq. I understand that western troops and private security companies have committed many disgraces, some reported but most not, but the simple fact is (probably) that dozens of people were saved from torture and execution by this operation. Isn't that a good enough end in itself? Taking down the building itself I think was right as well, why not remove what for many in Basra would have been a symbol of corruption and murder.

I was surprised to see Saddam's death sentence upheld so soon. They weren't bound by the constitution to issue an appeal decision within any time limit, so they could have stuck it on the shelf for a couple of months. Maliki's keen as mustard to get Saddam hanged so I wouldn't be surprised to see the sentence carried out within the next week. Some of my Iraqi friends are very, very worried that this is really going to make the violence escalate. Of course there's a perverse asymmetry to this - to remove a negative symbol in the shape of the police station in Basra might well improve things down there but removing one in the form of Saddam in Baghdad is going to lead to more death and destruction.

Aaaanyway. Christmas in Baghdad has been great fun. Hopefully I'll have a couple of days off before the round of New Year parties kicks in. My liver needs a break.

Here's wishing you and yours a safe and happy Christmas, and all the best for 2007 wherever you are.

S

No comments: